Service Application Processing

Service Application Processing

The New Service Applications and Installations Departments are transitioning from manual to electronic processing. Currently both options are available to customers. Follow the steps below to ensure timely processing of your application for a new water meter service. 

Confirm Cost Request

First, please complete the Cost Estimate Request form to confirm eligibility and fee amount(s) before you submit your New Service Application. You MUST determine service size, type, and preferred location prior to submitting this cost request.

Cost Estimate Request

Application Completion

Manual Submissions -

  • Please download, print and complete the New Service Application.
  • The completed and signed application, copy of plumbing permit(s), plot/site plan, and payment are all needed when you submit the application manually.
  • Please see the “Documentation Requirements” section for more information on plumbing permits and plot/site plan.
  • Payments for manual submission must be made by either check or money order. Applications will not move forward to the installations department until payment has been received in full.
  • Drop off or mail these items to our corporate office:

ATTN: New Service Applications
550 South Third Street
Louisville, KY 40202

Electronic Submissions -

  • Click on the below New Service Application button and complete all the fields listed in the form.
  • Please see the “Documentation Requirements” section for a list of what other materials are required. Please uploaded the required items through the online form.
  • Once the application has been processed, a link will be sent to the email address provided on the online form requesting payment with debit/credit cards or EFT draft.
    Please note: If check or money order is the preferred method of payment, please use the Manual Submission process.
  • Payments must be submitted in full before the application will move to the Installations Department.

New Service Application

Documentation Requirements

Plumbing Permits -

  • Plumbing Permits – The application will NOT be processed, and service will NOT be installed until the applicant provides a copy of the permit from the local plumbing inspection office/health department. A plumbing permit is required for ALL domestic and irrigation services. Plumbing permits may be obtained from the following agencies:
    • For property in Bullitt County: Bullitt County Health Department
    • For property in Jefferson County: State Department of Housing Division of Plumbing
    • For property in Oldham County: Oldham County Health Department
  • Plot/Site Plans – These are required for domestic, commercial, fire, and irrigation services for common areas and signature entrances. Please note: Depending on your geographic location you may experience less than optimal water pressure. Learn more information about water pressure.

Payment Methods

  • Manual Submissions: check or money order required.
  • Electronic Submissions: debit/credit cards or EFT draft.


  • Applications will not move forward to the installations department until payment has been received in full.
  • If check/money order is the default method of choice, we are asking that you submit applications manually.